Health scalp has 100,000 hair strand on average. When hair strands complete their life cycle, they are lost and new hair strands grow instead. 100-150 hair strand loss per day is acceptable for adults. But, if hair loss is more than normal daily limits for more than 2 months, this could be the signal of some diseases. And you might want to take precautions.
Various external factors, lifestyle, certain health problems, our psychology and genetic properties can lead hair loss. First big step to prevent this problem is to learn more about underlying reasons. You can find all details about hair loss that is one of the biggest aesthetic concerns of both men and women.
Reasons for hair loss
Genetic factors: Mainly, hair loss are caused by genetic factors. Hair loss caused by genetic factors can be seen in both women and men. Generally, this is a chronical condition. While DHT hormone which is commonly called testosterone is the main reason for men, both male hormone and aromatase enzyme can cause hair loss in women.
Telogen Effluvium: This is the second most common reason for hair loss among women. Physiological (natural) and pathological (due to various diseases) can be the main reason. This problem can cause 200-700 hair strand loss per day.
Skin problems: Some diseases on scalp can damage hair roots and cause hair loss over the long run. If diseases like psoriasis, eczema, lichen or fungus on scalp naturally impacts hair roots.
Stress and psychological conditions: Intense stress and long-term stress can cause hair loss. Additionally, some psychological problems like depression, anxiety, psychosis might cause hair loss.
Internal diseases and some medication: Rheumatism diseases, thyroid, diabetes, insulin resistance, digestive problems, adrenal gland problems and medications in these diseases as well as hormone, weight losing and birth control pills can cause hair loss.
Vitamin and mineral deficiency: Our hair and hair roots are nourished with certain minerals and vitamins. Vitamin and mineral deficiency might cause nourishing problems and it is possible to experience hair loss. Vitamin B12, vitamin D, biotin, zinc, folic acid and iron are necessary vitamins and minerals for your hair.
Birth giving and puerperal: Hair that should be lost during pregnancy will be lost in postpartum period 3 months after birth.
Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy treatment is a specific treatment process that causes hair loss. After treatment is completed, hair will start to grow again.
Incorrect Eating Habits: Eating one type, irregular eating habits, long term hunger and consuming carbohydrate rich food is among hair loss reasons.
Cosmetic factors: Long term use and exposure to high temperature hair shaping, gels, sprays as well as internal bonnet, tight hair models, dying, perm and ingredients used in these processes might cause hair loss.
Hair loss types
Fundamentally, hair loss is divided into two as permanent and temporary. These two types of loss can be divided into different groups for underlying reasons. When you learn everything about hair loss types, you can take the biggest step to identify your loss and decide on treatment.
Permanent hair loss
This is hair loss type that damages hair roots permanently and prevents new hair root growth. This type is divided into three as male pattern hair loss, female pattern hair loss and regional hair loss.
- Male pattern hair loss This is the most common hair loss type. Main reason is genetics. Medically, this hair loss type is known as androgenetic alopecia and it is caused by excessive androgenetic hormone. This hormone shrinks hair root veins, prevents hair root nourishment and causes permanent hair loss. This hair loss can start in your 20s and advance fast. Or it can start at older ages and advance slow. Most typical property of male pattern hair loss is same progression speed. This pattern starts from hairline and expands to top part of the head. Although this type is common among men, some women can also experience this loss.
- Female pattern hair loss This name was given as this problem is common among women. But it can also be seen in men. It will start at young ages and progress slowly. Main reason is genetics. While some hair roots are stuck in sleeping phase, hair growth will stop. So, hair strands will become thinner. Hair roots will equally decrease in all regions. Generally, hairs look thin and scarce. Hair loss can advance such that scalp can be visible.
- Regional loss: Main reason for this loss is trauma on scalp and hair root damage in this area. This loss is local loss. Trauma caused hair loss are permanent. Alopecia areata which is also known as pelade can cause this problem. If hair loss is caused by alopecia areata, correct treatment will eliminate this disease. And hair roots will start to grow again.
Temporary hair loss
This type is divided into 4. Generally, this problem is seasonal and it will pass as underlying reasons are eliminated. It can be seen in both men and women.
- Hormone related loss: These are losses due to hormonal imbalance. This could be experienced in specific periods such as pregnancy and menopause as well as after certain diseases. This problem can pass on its own when hormone levels are back to normal. Or experts might apply various treatments.
- Stress related loss: Stress is a mood that rapidly damages our entire body structure. And one of the problems caused by stress is hair loss. When stress sources are eliminated and this mood is behind you, hair loss will stop.
- Eating related loss: This is especially common among women. Hair roots are connected to our vein system with capillary vessels and these roots are nourished this way. Due to insufficient eating, our other organs and hair roots will be damaged due to vitamin and mineral deficiency.
- Disease and treatment related loss: Chemotherapy treatment, some systemic diseases and medication used in treatment can cause temporary hair loss.
Hair loss treatments
Temporary hair loss treatment include hair care cures and hair care products, nourishing and strengthening medication, mesotherapy and PRP. However, only successful alternative for permanent hair loss is hair transplant. All these methods must be applied under doctor’s recommendation and control.
- Hair care cures and hair care products: These offer sufficient solution for mild or seasonal hair loss. These treatments are ideal for weak hair and hair splits.
- Nourishing and strengthening medication: After necessary blood tests, these medication should be used for supportive purposes based on the needs of your body. These medications should be used in recommended doses for recommended time.
- Hair PRP: PRP is recommended once a month and for at least 3 sessions in hair treatment. Number of sessions can be increased depending on your needs. After completing treatment cure, repeating this treatment once a year will preserve effectiveness. If hair loss is more than 40%, additional treatment might be needed than PRP. Blood drawn from the individuals is enriched in thrombocytes and injected to scalp.
- Hair Mesotherapy: In this treatment, a cocktail with various vitamins, minerals, protein and oligo-elements are injected to scalp. This treatment will increase strength of hair roots and helps quality and dense hair growth. Number of sessions is selected after hair structure analysis. Generally, 6-10 sessions are recommended. First 4 sessions are applied once a week and other sessions are applied once in every 15 days.
- Hair Transplant: Hair transplant is the only permanent solution for hair loss. This method can be applied as FUE, Percutaneous and DHI methods. This operation is recommended after completing full hair loss. In this operation, hair roots collected from the individual are transplanted to effected area. Transplant is an ideal alternative for denser hair look in case of thinning.